The M.Tech Programme in Structural Engineering & Construction Management is offered by the Department of Civil Engineering, Indira Gandhi Institute of Engineering & Technology, Kothamangalam , which is approved by the AICTE and affiliated to the M.G. University, Kottayam, Kerala. The intake is 24 students per year.
This course aims at providing students with a solid background on the principles of project management & structural engineering. Students will be exposed to the theories and concepts of both concrete and steel design and analysis both at the element and system levels. A structural engineer analyses and designs the structure and a person proficient in construction management executes the project.
The course content of this master’s programme which includes thorough study on construction methods and equipments, construction management, project planning and implementation develops the manager with a civil engineering graduate. The course also includes structural analysis and design, earth quake analysis, study of building materials etc, which makes the student qualified to be involved in design stage of a project.
To enhance the field experience of students, they are sent for short term industrial training. The students are encouraged to conduct projects inside and outside campus, which will mould them into better engineers.
The Programme Educational Objectives are:
- To prepare graduates who will be successful professionals in industry, government, academia, research, entrepreneurial pursuit and consulting firms
- To prepare graduates who will contribute to society as broadly educated, expressive, ethical and responsible citizens with proven expertise
Engineering programmes have been designed to prepare graduates for attaining the following program outcomes:
- an ability to apply knowledge of mathematics, science and engineering in practice
- an ability to identify, critically analyze, formulate and solve engineering problems with comprehensive knowledge in the area of specialization
- an ability to select modern engineering tools and techniques and use them with dexterity
- an ability to design a system and process to meet desired needs within realistic constraints such as health, safety, security and manufacturability
an ability to contribute by research and innovation to solve engineering problems